Upgrading DxEnterprise from the Command Line
Upgrading DxEnterprise using the Command Line Interface.
DxEnterprise software is fully backward compatible and can be updated during normal production without impacting SQL instances or workloads.
Note: If you are running availability groups using tunnels, the tunnel communication between availability group replicas will be impacted until the upgrade completes and the availability group resyncs. It is also advisable to have access to the node outside of any DH2i tunnels via SSH since access to tunnels will be impacted during the upgrade.
If upgrading DxEnterprise using the DH2i public repository (Linux only) is the preferred method, then please see Upgrading DxEnterprise using the DH2i Repository.
To update DxEnterprise software, please follow one of the procedures below:
- Download the latest DxEnterprise software (Client Downloads).
- Windows Only: Open a command prompt and change directory to the DH2i bin directory.
- Freeze the node to disable InstanceMobility by running the “freeze-node” dxcli command against the node. This instructs the cluster not to failover.
dxcli freeze-node <node_name>
- Install the new version of DxEnterprise.
Note: There is no need to uninstall previous versions. Run the update command for the OS version being used.
sudo rpm -Uvh dxenterprise-<version>.x86_64.rpm
sudo dpkg -i dxenterprise_<version>_amd64.deb
msiexec /i "DxEnterpriseSetup.<version>.msi" /qn
- Unfreeze the node to re-enable InstanceMobility by running the “unfreeze-node” dxcli command.
dxcli unfreeze-node <node_name>
- Repeat steps 3-5 for each node in the cluster