Key Findings From The Pre-Pandemic State of VPNs Report: All Signs Point to a VPN-Less Future

Almost a full year has passed since many people were sent home with laptops to begin working from the comfort of their own home and yet, most teams are still working remotely. It’s no secret that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused major disturbance to our everyday lives, especially for IT professionals charged with managing their company networks.

With so many employees working from home, organizations have turned to VPN technology for secure remote connectivity. However, a large study in partnership with Virtual Intelligence Briefing (ViB) revealed that 62% of organizations are worried about security when using VPNs.

This finding is just a sneak peek into the insight provided by hundreds of IT pros in our latest report, “The Pre-Pandemic State of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).”

To uncover our top findings from the study, check out the highlights below. If you’d like to dive deeper into the state of VPNs, access the full report here: https://dh2i.com/pre-pandemic-state-of-VPNs

 

Top 3 VPN Pain Points

Implementing VPNs for network connectivity raises a number of challenges for networking teams. Topping the list was security, given that 62% of organizations are concerned about the security of VPNs, with specific anxiety about endpoint device security and access levels.

Leading the way for the number 2 spot was the reliability for Disaster Recovery (DR), given that 48% of respondents cited that VPNs lack the availability and failover capabilities to create a stable DR environment.

Cost takes the win for the third greatest VPN pain point. 46% of respondents pointed to cost, with nearly half expressing that VPN-related costs are an extreme issue for their organization.

 

Who’s on Your Network?

Cybercriminals are only becoming smarter, making their quest to tap into more networks easier and the pursuit to keep them out even harder. To gain insight into how efficiently teams are managing their networks with VPNs, we asked respondents what the probability is that unauthorized users are on their network. Shockingly, 39% admitted that it’s very likely someone is already on their network who shouldn’t be. It does leave one to ponder how confident the other 61% actually is.

 

The Future of VPNs

Given the abundance of obstacles that come with VPN technology, respondents’ interest in VPN alternatives was also considered. With remote access being the main driver to use VPNs, we asked how preferable it would be for remote users to have access to authorized applications without an “attackable” network presence. 68% of participants indicated that this feature was highly desirable. Though VPNs lack this capability as they reveal a “slice of the network,” this feature is native to Software Defined Perimeter (SDP) solutions.

 

If you have any questions regarding the findings from this report or if you’d like to share your take on VPNs, feel free to reach out to us at info@dh2i.com.

Want to read more about secure networking with an SDP framework? Learn about our approach to zero trust networking here: https://dh2i.com/dxodyssey/

Access the Full Report

Connor Cox